One of the things about growing old is that we tend to look back over the years. One of my fondest memories is the Sunday dinner with family. I don’t have much family around here anymore, the kids have grown and moved on to better places.
However, I still have my husband and luckily, my mom. I do like to have a traditional Sunday dinner once in a while so this weekend I will prepare one of my mom’s favorite dishes, chicken parmesan.
I must admit, it is also one of my favorite dinners. I sometimes make it the delicious, high-calorie way, but often, I make it a reduced calorie, healthy version, which is what I will do this time.
I am trying to rid myself of some unwanted winter weight gain so that when springtime finally raises its weary head, I will be one step ahead of the game, and be a little thinner. I don’t want any surprises when I get out last year’s capris and put them on.
I use boneless, skinless chicken thighs as they are very tender and moist. I will also use a couple of chicken tenders so as to have some white meat to save some calories. When I don’t have the ingredients I need to make the low-calorie version, I will use an old standby:
Shake and Bake Italian Chicken Seasoning mix, and bake it in the oven. Very good, very tender, and when I use my sauce on it, very very good. Put some freshly grated parmesan cheese on top, you have one meal fit for a king, or in my case, a mom!
Boneless Chicken Parmesan
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- 1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme, crumbled
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 cup nonfat or low-fat milk
- 1 egg
- nonstick spray
- Preheat oven to 450*.
- Lightly spray a baking pan. I use my broiler pan.
- Put breadcrumbs in a bowl.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese, parsley, paprika, garlic powder, oregano, and thyme.
- Put milk in another bowl.Beat in egg.
- Rinse chicken and pat dry with paper towels.
- Dip chicken into egg-milk mixture, let extra liquid drain off, roll in crumbs, and shake off excess crumbs.
- Put chicken in pan and bake for 30 minutes or until juices run clear.
- Spread with tomato sauce, top with parmesan cheese, and bake an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve with linguine and sauce and a crusty bread.
Higher Fat Version-Very good
Follow the directions for above but instead of baking in the oven, heat 1-inch oil in a cast iron pan. Brown dredged chicken pieces on both sides. Place on paper towels to drain. Place in a pan spread tomato sauce on top, add the cheese, and bake for about 20-25 minutes or until cooked.